Geranium Festival in McDonough
This annual event is going into its 41st year in Downtown McDonough. It is a gathering of artisans from all over the Southeast to share their talents of jewelry making, woodworking, visual arts, clothing and so much more. After walking around, you can enjoy some famous BBQ if you need to remind yourself you are in the south and don’t forget the sweet tea. Are you a turkey leg kind of person, or do you prefer gator tail? Why not try both?
There is opportunity to take a break from your shopping to listen to music as the children play in the play area. Spend the day and find some treasures to take home along with great memories.
If you love geraniums you might also put the New Year’s Eve Geranium Drop on your calendar.
Taste of Henry
This yearly event is held in Heritage Park Event Center in McDonough, Georgia. It is a foodie’s dream with over 20 restaurants sampling their best menu items. One hundred percent of the proceeds benefit A Friend’s House, a home for children in crisis. Fill the evening with guilt free indulgence as you support this important safe haven for the children of Henry County.
4th of July Fireworks and More
After the grill cools down at the family gathering, grab the gang and head down to the Fourth of July festivities happening around the county.
- From the top of Panola Mountain in Stockbridge, Georgia you can take in the view of Stone Mountain and many of Atlanta’s firework displays. Make it a Fireworks Hike to walk off some of that BBQ from the picnic. Be sure to make a reservation before heading out.
- Fourth of July Family Fest at Warren Holder Park in Locust Grove, Georgia has live music, over 100 vendors, a kid’s zone and a water zone which comes in handy during the Georgia mid-summer heat.
- If you like drag races you will love the Salute to America fireworks after the races. You can stay in your seats in the grandstand and get the best view of the fireworks display.
- Fourth of July free concert in downtown Hampton, Georgia. Is that Elvis over there? See renditions of music from your favorite icons.
- Freedom Fest in Stockbridge, Georgia is a free event provided by Community Bible Church. Not sure any other festivals offer a 300-foot zip line, mechanical bull and giant slide. They claim to have the best show on the southside.
- Fourth of July on the Farm is held on Southern Belle Farm in McDonough, Georgia. While there you can pick some fresh veggies and fruit from one of the 10 Great Pick-Your-Own Farms designated by USA Today. Remember the fresh strawberries for shortcake at the picnic.
- Heritage Park Veterans Museum has volunteer veterans available for conversations about servicemen and women which helps us remember with what the fourth of July is all about.
Every season brings a reason to gather and celebrate Henry County